Possible data sources for final project
Most of these datasets are from my own research projects, some of them are generously shared by my colleagues. Non-disclosure agreement or license agreement may need to be signed with me, my colleagues, or any other third-parties.
Civil society scholarship in English and Chinese
This dataset contains detailed bibliography data of peer-reviewed journal articles studying nonprofits, philanthropy, and civil society in English and Chinese. Example studies using this dataset:
- Ma, Ji, and Rene Bekkers. 2022. “Consensus Formation in Nonprofit and Philanthropic Studies: Networks, Reputation, and Gender.” OSF Preprints. https://doi.org/10.31219/osf.io/6b7qg.
- Ma, Ji. 2022. “How Does an Authoritarian State Co-Opt Its Social Scientists Studying Civil Society?” VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, July. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11266-022-00510-6.
- Ma, Ji, Islam Akef Ebeid, Arjen de Wit, Meiying Xu, Yongzheng Yang, René Bekkers, and Pamala Wiepking. 2021. “Computational Social Science for Nonprofit Studies: Developing a Toolbox and Knowledge Base for the Field.” VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations, October. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11266-021-00414-x.
- Ma, Ji, and Sara Konrath. 2018. “A Century of Nonprofit Studies: Scaling the Knowledge of the Field.” VOLUNTAS: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 29 (6): 1139–58. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11266-018-00057-5.
- A working paper analyzing the relationship between English and Chinese scholarship can be shared upon request.
Mission statements of nonprofit organizations in English, French, and Korean
A few other sources that can complement this dataset:
- Charity Navigator Data API, contains nonprofit performance and financial information.
- Nonprofit Explorer by ProPublica, user-friendly data platform based on the machine-readable data of IRS 990 forms.
- Candid API.
- Paxton, Pamela, Kristopher Velasco, and Robert W. Ressler. 2020. “Does Use of Emotion Increase Donations and Volunteers for Nonprofits?” American Sociological Review, November, 0003122420960104. https://doi.org/10.1177/0003122420960104.
- Ma, Ji. 2021. “Automated Coding Using Machine Learning and Remapping the U.S. Nonprofit Sector: A Guide and Benchmark.” Nonprofit and Voluntary Sector Quarterly 50 (3): 662–87. https://doi.org/10.1177/0899764020968153.
Data in French and Korean are less developed, and they are about Canadian and Korean nonprofits. The Canadian data is shared by Prof. Elizabeth Searing and Prof. Nathan Grasse. The Korean data is shared by the Beautiful Foundation and Shinyoung Park.
Website texts of US nonprofit organizations (late 1990s–2021)
Website texts of over 4,000 (?) US nonprofits that date back to the late 1990s. Scraped from the Wayback Machine.
Google Places of US Congregations
Policy impact of public administration scholarship
This dataset consists of four parts: 1) Bibliography data of over 44,000 policy documents that cite public administration scholarship, these documents are compiled from more than a thousand different sources from 180+ different countries. 2) Full texts of these policy documents. 3) Bibliography data of articles from nearly 200 peer-reviewed journals cited by the policy documents. 4) Full-text n-grams of these journals articles.